Feb 15, 2009

Build up these walls

After the long cross-country drive back to California in mid-September I had to wait awhile to see what progress had been made in my absence. I returned in late October/early November to see the first walls going up on the garage and lakeside extension of the cottage.

Here you can see the beginning of what will be the new half-wall surrounding the entry way.

This is a glimpse of the beginning of the garage

The foundation and floor of the lakeside extension are all in. That black rectangle is for a crawlspace access. I know I sure hope i never have to crawl in there!

Fred and Mike are putting the finishing touches on the lakeside wall of the extension before putting it up

I grabbed this simple shot just to show how little insulation this cottage had before this project began. What you see here is part of the old wall with the siding removed. I think the black stuff is called rock wool. It's only about half an inch thick. Behind that were the studs and then what you see is simply the backside of the interior cedar paneling. No wonder it was drafty in the winter! The only places I saw any insulation at all when they removed some of the siding was around the ductwork. Since the whole place is getting resided I'll also be getting new insulation throughout. It sure will make it more tempting to spend more time there in the winter.




photos taken October 23, 2008

No comments: